Those wishing to be certified as a Certified Solution-Focused Therapist (CSFT) or Certified Solution-Focused Practitioner (CSFP) will provide information to the CCPC showing their education, supervised experience and, dedicated training in the field of Solution-Focused practice.
The application and documentation will be screened for eligibility for certification by an Evaluator and then scrutinized by the CCPC Board of Examiners.
The Certified Solution-Focused designations CSFT and CSFP are professional designations entitling the owner to affix the letters after his/her name.
Any person may apply for credentials as a Certified Solution-Focused Therapist or Practitioner. However, he or she must be able to meet the “Standards Criteria” set by the CCPC Examining Board.
The application process provides the opportunity for the applicant to demonstrate adequate skill, knowledge, and competence.
Purpose of Certification
The purpose of Certification as a Solution-Focused Therapist or Practitioner is to recognize, by way of the certification process, those who have acquired an acceptable standard of training, skills, and effectiveness as a Therapist or Practitioner.
The CCPC encourages everyone having the required qualification to apply regardless of age, race, nationality, sex, or disability.
Our focus is:
- To provide the avenue for qualified persons who have studied, worked and developed skills in the solution-focused practice to receive professional recognition.
- To provide the public with the confidence that Solution-Focused Specialists have attained an acceptable level of competency.
- To provide Certified Solution-Focused Specialists with encouragement for continual awareness, education, and professional development.
Who may be certified?
Each applicant must provide written documentation you have received 72 hours of training (the equivalent of 12 days including the Clinical Case Presentation / Coaching Master Class workshop) and a minimum of fifteen (15) one hour individual supervision sessions (or equivalent time if conducted in small group format) endorsed by an approved CCPC Supervisor or Consultant.
We highly support having liability insurance and/or full membership, in good standing, in a recognized professional association or college.
CSF Practical Experience
Each applicant must complete 125 hours of practical experience which can include supervised experience, reflective practice, clients or peer coaching, case conference or observational learning. Please complete the relevant section on the application form to show how you completed this requirement.
Candidates for the Certified Therapist or Practitioner credential are required to possess a recognized graduate degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field with appropriate clinical and / or professional training.
Certified Solution-Focused Therapist (CSFT)
The CSFT (Therapist) designation is directed at mental health professionals, and is restricted to those who have relevant graduate degrees (e.g., MA, MEd, MSW, PhD), the required SF training, supervised clinical experience which can be shown on the application form or CV. A full membership in a mental health professional organization that has a code of ethics and standards of professional practice is highly sought.
Certified Solution-Focused Practitioner (CSFP)
The CSFP (Practitioner) designation is intended to meet the needs of healthcare providers, teachers, and other helping professionals. The basic requirements for the CSFP vary according to the profession, but usually consist of a relevant undergraduate degree or professional designation (e.g., RN, BEd, RT), required SF training, related work experience which can be shown on the application form or CV. Full membership in a professional organization that has a code of ethics and standards of professional practice is highly recommended.
Each applicant must provide written documentation you have received 72 hours of training (the equivalent of twelve (12) days including the Clinical Case Presentation / Coaching Master Class workshop) and a minimum of fifteen (15) one hour individual supervision sessions (or equivalent time if conducted in small group format) endorsed by an approved CCPC Supervisor or Consultant.
Supervision Guidelines – Please share with your Supervisor
The purpose of this Supervision Evaluation Requirement is for the candidate to develop and refine the clinical skills and knowledge necessary to conduct solution-focused interviews with a variety of client problems and situations. Fifteen (15) one hour supervised sessions are required and is only a minimum. These may be extended if the supervisor believes more time is needed.
The CCPC expects a high standard of practice from their Certified Solution Focused Therapists and Practitioners. This Code of Ethics sets out the essential elements of sound professional practice. Certified Solution Focused Therapists and Practitioners must commit to the following:
- Uphold the standards of ethical conduct that reflect well on themselves as well as the profession at large.
- Represent themselves professionally and be aware of their own competencies, experience, belief systems, values, and needs and the effect these have on their work and the impact these might have on their clients.
- Required to be sensitive to the possibility that some clients will require other forms of support (e.g. counselling, therapy, etc) and therefore be prepared to refer clients to other appropriate services.
- Responsible for creating clear agreements and contracts with clients in respect of terms and conditions, confidentiality, costs, frequency of Solution Focused sessions, etc. and will honour all agreements made in the context of professional coaching relationships.
- Be sensitive to issues of culture, religion, age, gender, and race and treat clients with dignity and respect.
- Respect the client’s right to terminate the session at any point during the Solution Focused process.
- Required to monitor their quality of work and maintain accurate records of their work with clients.
- Required to undertake a minimum of 10 hours of continuing professional development, including supervision or mentoring in Solution Focused practice on an annual basis.
- Required to have professional liability insurance where it’s appropriate in their country of work.
- Required to keep themselves informed of any statutory or legal requirements that may affect their work.
All applications must be accompanied by one professional letter of reference. All references are for the purpose of assisting the CCPC Examining Board make fair and complete evaluation of the applicants competency.
CSF Supervisor Endorsement Form
All applications must be accompanied by a Supervisor Endorsement Form completed by your current supervisor.